Friday, July 20, 2012

Is This What You Really Want? - A Heart Like His



Listen to them but you must solemnly warn them and tell them about the rights of the king who will rule over them (1 Samuel 8:9)

Think about a time when you insisted on having your way, but it turned out to be a mistake. Try to describe who the “king” of your own self-desire treated you.

When I think of this question, I can’t help thinking of how much I “LOVED” my ex-husband. Actually with the 20/20 hindsight that comes only with time, I would say I worshiped him. I was willing to do anything, say anything, be anything just to be with him. This was in spite of the chaotic and abusive nature of the relationship.

I can’t begin to tell you how many times I begged GOD to let us get back together. I bargained with God to allow me to marry him. I pled with God to make me the kind of person that my EX wanted me to be. I beseeched God to keep my ex from beating me and cheating on me. I wanted to find a comfortable way to stay in this relationship despite how it was spiraling out of control.

By seeking my own self-desire the outcome was not good. If instead I had heeded the voices of friends and family members and of course the doubts and warnings God put in my path I orchestrated the suffering I received at the hands of my ex.

How would it affect your next big battle of wills if you approached it with patience, waiting long enough to see what God was really wanting to do in this situation?

It is of course a constant struggle to approach situations with patience and prayer to wait to discover the path where God leads.

Sometimes we need to remember to thank God for unanswered prayers. (Thank you Garth Brooks) Remember that when God doesn’t readily give us what we want when we want it, it is because He knows what our desire would cost us. Faith sometimes means forgoing our desires because we trust Christ to have a better plan for our lives

No comments: