Saturday, December 25, 2010

It Never Snows In Northern Georgia, But Girl Don't They Warn Ya




Thursday the National Weather Service predicted that 1 to 3 inches of snow could fall across Metro Atlanta.

The last time there was measurable snow on Christmas Day was more than a century earlier, in 1882, when .3 inch accumulated.

Christmas morning was cloudy and snow free until about 10 AM and by the end of the day we had accumulated about two inches.

Atlas, was very frightened of the white stuff falling from the sky. When I took him outside he began pulling me towards the truck parked in our driveway to seek shelter from the snow.

I coaxed and pleaded for him to step out into the great white north but he stood his ground. He was not having any of this. I was eventually forced to crawl under the truck to retrieve him.

The storm is predicted to head North and bring blizzards dropping 15 to 20 inches in eastern Massachusetts. (Note to Yankees: Snow storms are one of the reasons I left the North.)

In the meantime many churches will be closed here tomorrow and we may well get even more snow tomorrow.

Despite the cold weather I did receive two phone calls that warmed the cockles of heart. The first call came from my youngest son who called to wish me a Merry Christmas and inform me that I had accidentally written the wrong name on one of the gifts.

It seems that I had put his name on a printer that I was giving his brother for Christmas. I apologized but my son told me, "That's OK Mom. We figured it out. I told Dan that you're old and you don't know any better." Thanks Mike.

Later in the evening I received a call from Dan, who usually identifies himself as "favorite son." (After the comment his brother made, perhaps he's right.)

Dan put the kids on the phone and I got to talk with them for a little while. It goes so fast and after all what kids really wants to talk on the phone with Grandma when you have a pile of new toys waiting to be played with. Can't say that I blame them.

Christmas always reminds me that our greatest blessings are FREE. Blessings are present in every aspect of your life. You may not be wealthy by the world's standards but if you live with an attitude of gratitude, you will be made rich in every way so that you can be generous on every occasion.

Merry Christmas and may God bless you and keep you safe.

No comments: