Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The GFSA State Scholarship Essay Contest


When I graduated from college, I did so with only about $1,500 worth of debt. That’s right less than $2,000 and I was able to pay it all back by the end of my first year of employment. I was attending an out of state school because that was the closest college to where I was living. So where in the heck did I get that money? Scholarships!

I am forever bugging my students to apply for any and every LEGITIMATE college scholarship. Before I go any further let me give a BIG SHOUT-OUT to the Guidance Counselors at Rome High School. I have worked at several schools in several states over the years and I want to say this is one of the finest Guidance Departments EVER!!!!

Every year they have TWO PTSO meetings to talk to parents about FAFSA, Grants, and Scholarships. Our Guidance Counselors also go to EVERY Senior English Class to tell them about applying for colleges as well as scholarship money that is available to them. Seniors are even called into Guidance for a one-on-one conference and provided with information about available scholarships. Perhaps that’s why last year our students were awarded $3.3 million dollars in scholarships.

I also try to provide my students with college scholarship information. Every year my best recommendations are to begin looking for scholarships NOW!!!! Do not pay companies to provide you with college scholarship information. Often you will discover that the information provided was information you could have discovered FREE on your own. Finally see your Guidance Counselor. There is no possible way that I can know about all the scholarship money that is available.

With that in mind, if you are a Georgia resident I would like to share with you. Only 1,000 words may be all that stand between you and up to $1500 in a scholarship! The Essay Theme for 2009-2010 is: Tell why fire sprinklers are important and how they have helped to save lives and property in Georgia; and why you would want to have them installed in your home.

The Georgia Fire Sprinkler Association awards scholarships annually in the amount of $1500, $1000, and $750 to high school seniors through an essay writing contest. The deadline for entries is September 22, 2009.

The GFSA State Scholarship Essay Contest is open to high school seniors in Georgia who plan to further their education at a college/university or certified trade school in the United States. The scholarship is not based on financial need. Relatives of GFSA board members may not enter.

You must be a high school senior during the 2009-2010 school year who will attend a college/university or trade school in the United States starting with the fall 2010 semester.

Home-schooled students may apply as long as your course of study is equivalent to that of a senior in high school.

No comments: