Thursday, September 17, 2009

Mary Travers Dies At The Age of 72



Mary Travers of the folk trio Peter, Paul and Mary died Wednesday night in Danbury Hospital in Connecticut. She was 72 and had lived in Redding, Conn. The cause was cancer, said her spokeswoman, Heather Lylis.

Peter, Paul, and Mary made songs like “Blowin’ in the Wind,” “If I Had a Hammer” and “Where Have All the Flowers Gone?” enduring anthems of the 1960s protest movement. It's funny to look back and think of my Dad listening to these anthems of the protest movement but I can still remember him singing them to me. Even now when I hear Puff the Magic Dragon I remember my Dad singing the song not just to me but to my children too. I didn't know it was about marijuana until I was in my teens.

When I was in the fifth grade I remember the music teacher teaching us the song "Where Have All The Flowers Gone." Sometimes when I'm in a graveyard I can still hear the refrain of this song.

No comments: