Thursday, December 10, 2009

One Child ONLY - Which Child Do I Give Up?




It always goes back to when I was young doesn't it? This time let's travel back to when I was twelve. A movie came out that I would love to have the opportunity to watch again as an adult.

It was called "The Last Child" It was an ABC Movie of the Week and it was produced by none other than Aaron Spelling. It starred Michael Cole, Van Heflin, Janet Margolin

The Last Child takes place in America in 1994, a time in which a massive, chronic overpopulation crisis has resulted in the passage of Draconian laws, declaring that no couple can have more than one child, and that nobody over the age of 65 can receive any but the most superficial medical treatment. Hey wait that kind of sounds like the not to distant future.

I can still remember one of the opening scenes in which you happen to catch a glimpse of the the young mother's baby bump and that's where the trouble begins. You see the government is able to view her records to discover she had actually had a baby previously. The baby had died not too long after it was born but it had outlived the government mandated time. The obvious solution for the "problem" is to abort the baby. The rest of the movie involves the couple's attempt to flee the United States towards Canada where the laws were less harsh.

I was about eleven or twelve at the time and I remember having nightmares but my Mom assured me that this short of thing could NEVER happen.

It appears that the UN's Copenhagen conference is pondering if the "Population Bomb" may be going off and the whole world needs to adopt China's one-child policy. As a matter of fact I just discovered that Canada's national newspaper is in favor of this solution.

Sorry Mom but you might be wrong when you use the term NEVER.

The world's other species, vegetation, resources, oceans, arable land, water supplies and atmosphere are being destroyed and pushed out of existence as a result of humanity's soaring reproduction rate.

-If only one child per female was born as of now, the world's population would drop from its current 6.5 billion to 5.5 billion by 2050, according to a study done for scientific academy Vienna Institute of Demography.

-By 2075, there would be 3.43 billion humans on the planet. This would have immediate positive effects on the world's forests, other species, the oceans, atmospheric quality and living standards.

-Doing nothing, by contrast, will result in an unsustainable population of nine billion by 2050.

Note to self: I have to read the Population Bomb. I've been meaning to do that for years because it warned of the mass starvation of humans in 1970's and 1980s due to overpopulation and advocated immediate action to limit population growth. Guess the fact that global cooling didn't kill me in the eighties and I didn't die when the Population Bomb went off made me feel I had more time to get around to reading the book.

So which child do I give up? You see I have two sons and they are both fine and wonderful men. Which one should never have been born. Since I have three grandkids which two should never have been born?

Perhaps Obama needs to appoint a czar. Then again maybe such decisions will be made by the EPA because after all every child you selfish Americans have is just destroying the earth. Talk about fear mongering.

Oh and did you know that Canadian journalist Diane Francis, who suggests WE should only have ONE child is the mother of two. (How many polar bears does her extra child kill?)

Quick save the polar bears from global warming caused by over population by humans or should we save the armadillos from global cooling.

No comments: