Monday, September 24, 2012

How Great Thou Art - A Come To Jesus Moment


You never know who God might send to touch your life.  I was reminded of this today by way of a chance encounter.
This morning I decided to take a walk to the Kroger store.  I’ve begun doing this as a goal because walking there and back is a three mile walk and walking has benefits that go beyond physical ones.  I use the time to clear my head.
This morning the problems with my sister Debbie were front and center on my mind.  I know that I told myself to give it to God and I’ve prayed on it but still I wondered if there was a way that I could redeem myself.  I mulled it over and prayed for my sister again and told God that I recognize that he was far better equipped at solving the situation than I was. 

When I arrived at Kroger I checked out my usual haunts which are the clearance areas to see if there were any good deals.  I found a box of my favorite organic cereal marked down from $3.64 to 74¢.  I also picked up a Hershey bar and some chewing gum. 
The store was pretty quiet and I got in line behind another woman who was buying a few things.  Out of habit I checked out what she bought.  I do that because I like to see if there were deals I missed out on getting.
 
The woman looked at me and I smiled at her.  I’ve been trying to make a concerted effort to smile more even when I feel troubled.  She smiled back and that probably would have been the last of it but suddenly she leaned in to me and said, “Let me get that for you.”

What?  She wanted to buy my groceries.  “No, I insisted you don’t have to.” 

This time she said, “Please let me bless you with those things.” 

Have you ever felt like the world has suddenly stopped and that you’re seeing only the things that are happening in the moment?  That’s how I felt. 

I almost felt the words coming out of my mouth, “Thank you so much but what I really need is for someone to pray for me.” 

She paid for her groceries and then bowed her head.  It took me a few moments to realize she was actually praying for me.

I felt some of the sadness I was under lift because I saw that God is always there for me and that he will give us a sign that he is working in your corner if you open your heart enough to see. 

No comments: