Tuesday, September 4, 2012

It’s Enough To Drive You Crazy - A Heart Like His


Look!  You can see the man is crazy. Achish said to his servants.  “Why did you bring him to me?”  1 Samuel 21:14

Have you ever been desperate enough to do something that, looking back, your reaction strikes you as being almost funny?

I would be the first to admit that there have been occasions in my life when I looked like I was the engineer of the CRAZY Train.
I’ve snooped, I’ve begged, I’ve cried, and I’ve threatened.  In hindsight, I never should have lowered myself or given up my dignity because none of these reactions were ever the right one.  Instead I should have gone to GOD and not just asked for guidance and trusted that he would help me meet the challenges I faced. 

When David faced Goliath, he took him head-on (or head-off, I guess).  But here in the giant’s hometown, he used the dodge technique.  Right? Wrong? Maybe?
God wanted David to stop running. His covenant was that David would reign as King, but David reacted near-sightedly. He believed and trusted God, but right now Saul was in hot pursuit of his life, so he ran for dear life!

David’s plan worked. Achish was appalled by David’s behavior. Rather than having him executed, he asked his servants why they had brought a madman to him. “What? I don’t have enough crazy people around me already?

I think it’s noteworthy that while David feigned madness in order to survive, Saul’s desperation over his loss of control of his kingdom acted genuinely mad.

No comments: