Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Entering Sweepstakes On Pinterest

Back in the Sixties, Bob Dylan warned us that the times they are a changin’ and that’s true about many things including sweeping.  If you want to win sweepstakes then you have to be flexible in the ways you enter sweepstakes. 
When I first heard of Pinterest I had no clue whatsoever what it was.  When I saw that I could get an extra entry by following someone on Pinterest I decided to create an account and following them.   I soon learned that some sweepstakes were actually entered by creating a “board” so I decided it was time for me to learn more about the site.

Pinterest is a virtual pinboard to organize and share the things you love.  Users can add their own content, “repin” content from the “boards” of others as well as content outside of Pinterest and “Pin It” to one of their boards. 
How do you create a Pinterest account?  That’s easy.  To make a Pinterest account, visit pinterest.com. Select the button "Join Pinterest" at the top of the page.  You will be required to create a Pinterest account name, password, and associated email.  You can also register via Facebook or Twitter.

How do you create a pinboard?  You can create as few or as many boards as you like.  To create a new board, click Add+ on the top toolbar on Pinterest, then press Create a Board. Type in a board title, choose a category, and then click Create Board when you are finished.
What is a pin?  A pin is an image added to Pinterest. A pin can be added from a website using our bookmarklet or you can upload images from your computer. A repin is adding an image you find while browsing Pinterest to your own board. When you repin an image, the user who first pinned the image also get credit.

How can you enter sweepstakes using Pinterest?  As with any other sweepstakes winning is all about following the rules. Usually sweepstakes involving Pinterest ask you to create a board with a predetermined name for that board.  The sponsor will then ask you to pin or repin a certain number of images, often asking that you tag these images with a hashtag (#).  Usually pins relate to a specific topic such as recipes or fashion. The sponsor may then ask you to email the link to your board or ask you to complete an entry form which includes a space for the link to your board. 
 Some sponsors have a judging aspect for pinboard entries.  If this is true be certain to read the judging criteria before you begin pinning.  I found a contest which asked that you create a board about travel and I randomly selected photos of places I wished I could visit from their website.  When I went back to make sure my entry met all requirements I realized that my board was actually being judged as to its theme.  This required me to go back and remove some pins and insert some new pins.
I’ve also noticed that several sponsors are selecting their winners based on the number of repins your pins receive.  As I have stated before I’m not big on voting contests which is essentially what this is.  Still you can request repins using Twitter, Facebook, and other social networking sites.   

The odds of winning any sweepstakes depend on the number of entries.  There is a certain population of sweepers who still rely only on mailing in 3x5 cards.  There is a large segment of sweepers who devote their energy to sweepstakes that only require the entrant to complete a form and submit.  This means the odds are in your favor when you enter alternate entry sweepstakes such as Pinterest.   Entering sweepstakes using Pinterest can be time-consuming but remember the more difficult a sweepstakes is to enter, the fewer qualified entries they will receive. 
Finally, remember that sweeping is NOT a job, it’s a hobby.  Enter sweepstakes for the thrill of it because if it’s not fun then you need a new hobby. 

No comments: