Saturday, August 4, 2012

Adam Smith's Sorry, So Sorry


As you may already know Adam Smith, now infamous for his rant against a young woman working at a Chick-fil-a, has lost his job as the Chief Financial Officer at Vante.  

While this may appear harsh for an act done during on his own time, I will try to explain why I can understand why Vante felt they needed to let him go.

As you know, I am a teacher.  This means I am a teacher not just during my work day but 365 days a year, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.  What I mean to say is that my behavior off the clock could endanger my ability to keep my job.

Let's say for example, I decided to attend a "Smoke In" to protest the fact that pot is illegal.  I don't smoke anything at the event but let's say that I decide to give an interview to a television reporter explaining my viewpoint. 

Perhaps I come across as being articulate, certainly not stoned, I don't smoke pot but I'm supporting people who do.  After all I have a right to freedom of speech don't I?

The next day students see me in the hall and give me high fives and fist bumps for supporting their views.  As a matter of fact the principal calls me into his office, but you can bet it's not to tell me about how well he thought I comported myself during the interview.  Our school supports zero tolerance and therefore my advocacy would place my job in jeopardy. 

So you say, "But Adam Smith was not a teacher so he can say what he wants."  True enough, Mr. Smith does not risk his job if he were to become pregant outside of marriage like a teacher would but he WAS a corporate executive. 

People look differently upon the janitor and the Vice President of a company.  When questions arise about a company and its product the media speaks to those in management not the janitor.  If the janitor has a few too many drinks over the weekend and gets a DUI that story may make the local police blotter and/or the "Busted" rag sheet. If the head of Apple or Pepsico does the same thing it's all over the news.  The company's stock may be affected if the perception is that the company is being run by someone who doesn't know you shouldn't drink and drive.

Adam Smith was a Chief Financial Office of a company.  One would expect him to have good judgement.  He did not display good judgement in going on a rant against a young girl at Chick-fil-a.  He should have addressed his concerns about Chick-fil-a to those at the top not some girl working her way through college at a fast food restaurant.

Mr. Smith claims that he originally intended to order a cup of water as a form of protest and if he was denied the water he was supposed to share Proverbs 25:21 to emphasize that Chick-fil-a was NOT opperating under Biblical values. 

By the way  Proverbs 25:21says:
If your enemy is hungry, give him food to eat;
if he is thirsty, give him water to drink.
On its face this was ludicrous inasmuch as there are NO charges leveled against Chick-fil-a refusing to serve people because of their sexual orientation.  NO ONE has been denied water because of their political beliefs. So his intent on schooling the people at Chick-fil-a falls flat. 

Rachael is NOT collateral damage ….she is a person! No matter what your position in the corporate world, CIVIL behavior would dictate that you treat others with common courtesy.

Not only has Mr. Adam Smith lost his job as Chief Financial Officer at Vante. (Smith claims that he was not given a chance to really explain himself before being terminated) but he is also the target of death threats.

Adam Smith says that because his home address was made public, he cannot live in his house due to the threats of violence and death against his family.  Certainly such incidents are NOT acceptable and do NOT demonstrative of What Would Jesus Do.

We have all made dumb mistakes. He is appologizing, and forgiveness is exactly what Christ asks of us. It doesn’t matter what you think he DESERVES, Christ forgives him.

No comments: