Tuesday, August 7, 2012

One Amazing Covenant - A Heart Like His


Jonathan made a covenant with David because he loved him as much as himself.  (1 Samuel 18:3)

Do you have the privilege of knowing someone like Jonathan?  Have you known anyone who has given up power or position for God’s will?  Who and how?

Jonathan and David are good examples of how friends treat each other. They should love each other and care about their needs. They should encourage them and help them in tough times. It’s a good example to us of how friends should be.

Jonathan could have been upset that David would be king instead of him. After all, he was the next in line. However, God had anointed David to be king and Jonathan knew that he must follow God.  Jonathan loved David and was happy for him to be the next king.

Friends are happy when others succeed.  They are not jealous or envious. They care and love at all times.  Unfortunately all too often jealousy rears its ugly head in my relationships partly because I fear that I do not have value. I seem to look for evidence to prove the point - that others will be preferred and rewarded more than me.

Unfortunately it seems as though I’ve always been a part of a competitive relationship in which one person’s success is seen as a threat to the other person’s well-being.  It’s very unhealthy and yet time and time again I seem to seek out such relationships, willing to down-play my achievements and/or not even try to move forward because to do so may risk the relationship. 

I fear the same in my relationship with God that I just don’t measure up and that I will never please him.  I’m working on learning how to give up the power I THINK I have in my life and put my dreams, my goals, and my talent, into God’s hands.  I MUST stop telling GOD what I don’t have or can’t do because equipped me with everything I need to fulfill my destiny. 

How have you sensed God calling you beyond the norm and the expected to give up something that might rightfully be yours but needs to be given over to His greater plan?

GOD makes the resource of His strength available to us.  I believe that I have been very guilty of waiting GOD to give it to me without much work on my side of the equation. He brings His strength to us as we seek Him and rely on Him instead of our own strength.  The fact is that is that you really do reap what you sow if you are putting forth little effort in your Christian walk, you should expect little result. 

This is where I am in my walk with GOD.  I’m trying desperately to learn what is required of me.  What is GOD’s plan for me? 

No comments: