Thursday, August 23, 2012

Common Bonds, Uncommon Friends - 90 Days With A Heart Like His


 

If I continue to live treat me with the LORD’s faithful love, but if I die don’t ever withdraw your faithful love from my household—not even when the LORD cuts off every one of David’s enemies from the face of the earth.” (1 Samuel 20:14-15)

In thinking about your best friendships, what besides circumstances or preferences would you say has knit your hearts together?
Looking back at my friendships I would say that most of them involved shared values and similar circumstances.  This does not mean that we walked in lock step nor does it mean that we didn’t disagree on deeply held beliefs, for example religion and politics.  I felt that my best friends were there for me, willing to listen to me when I needed someone to lean on.  They were also able to overlook my multitude of faults and I overlooked theirs. 

Why is the Lord such an integral part of best friendships?  And what’s missing between them when He’s not?
If God is not an active part of friendships, the people are missing one of life's most important treasures.

No comments: