Thursday, August 9, 2012

Flashes of Anger - A Heart Like His




Saul was furious and resented this song.  “They credited tens of thousands to David,” he complained, “but they only credited me with thousands.  What more can he have but the kingdom?” (1 Samuel  18:8)

What have you seen injured or destroyed in your life by angry reactions, by those initial outbursts that flare up and do their worst damage in a moment’s time?

I think for most of us it's a lot easier to react than it is to think.  I will admit that there were times when my first reaction to anger may be to attack, hurt, destroy and defend!  In fact it is never OK to use anger to hurt people in any way!

Anger is a strong emotion. Strong emotions can get in the way of clear thinking and commonsense.  On the other hand, when people ignore their anger, it has nowhere else to go, and can often turn upon its owner.

How do you prevent these kinds of events from occurring?  What disciplines could keep us protected from either inflicting or internalizing the hurt they cause?

I’ve finally learned that sometimes when I'm angry I have the right to be angry, but that doesn't give me the right to be cruel.  Anger is a normal emotion and there is nothing wrong with being angry.  What matters is how I handle it and what I do when I’m angry. 

Rather than having anger control me, I need to think about what I have been doing when I get mad. Sometimes I yell and scream and sometimes I withdraw and sulk? I know I have you hurt people with the words I have used. 

If I give myself some time and space I can articulate why I am angry so that I can act rather than react – ("I feel angry because…")  I need to acknowledge that It is about being able to agree that you are not going to agree, but that it's okay for others to have their own opinions.

No comments: