Thursday, August 2, 2012

Saul's Armor


Instead, he took his staff in his hand and chose five smooth stones from the wadi and put them in the pouch, in his shepherd’s bag.  Then, with his sling in his hand, he approached the Philistine (1 Samuel 17:40)

What pieces of “Saul’s armor” do you still find yourself reaching for, not quite sure that God’s Word and His promises are enough to depend on?

Saul offered his own armor to David. This was quite an honor, but there was a major problem: David was only a teenage boy and not only did Saul’s armor not fit David but it was unfamiliar to him. 
In the end David took up the humble weapons of a shepherd and with God’s help was able to defeat Goliath. 

Saul's armor can take many forms and can be forced upon us by people who mean well. They have always relied on their armor: their experience, training, education, natural talents, degrees, cultural study, money, contacts, organizations, etc! God does not receive the glory as they attributed victory to their armor. 

Personally I feel more comfortable when I don my armor of education.  Sometimes I feel as though that prepares me for the challenges I face and at other times I feel that I lack enough education for the challenges I face.  Instead I should put on the spiritual armor of God so that I may stand in the spiritual battle I face and prevail

We must NEVER trade faith for Saul's armor.  God hasn't changed. Faith still fells giants and moves mountains.
What do you think makes these extras and add-ons so heavy after awhile? 

We have a tendency to compare our talents with the talents of others. Sometimes we obsess over the things we can’t do instead of improving on the things we can do. It’s as though we are saying, “God you made a mistake when you created me. You gave me the wrong talents.” This kind of attitude does not glorify God!

With God on our side we can overcome any adversity that we face.  We must offer our gifts and talents to God, and expect him to use them as only He can.

We should never allow someone else's lack of faith dictate our decisions. We serve a God who is able to accomplish what concerns us in every aspect.

No comments: