Monday, July 16, 2012

When Role Models Go Bad - A Heart Lke His



This was an incredibly hectic weekend.  We had to go back to Rome and get the refrigerator, the freezer, the washer and the dryer.  Trust me that’s a long trips and we didn’t get a lot of sleep the night before because we went to a seminar called “We Still Kiss.”

When we arrived at our old house, I vacuumed and packed a few more boxes.  I had hoped that this would be the end of it but it appears that we have to make one more trip. 

We arrived home at almost 11 o’clock at night.  Trust me I was extremely tired.  This did not mean that I skipped my Bible study.  Instead I wrote down my notes in order to elaborate at a later time.

Eli’s sons were wicked men; they had no regard for the Lord…by contrast, the boy Samuel continued to grow in stature and in favor with the LORD and with men (1 Samuel 2:12, 26)

“The word of the LORD was rare” during these days in Israelite history (1 Samuel 3:1).  What can you do when the people around you are not listening for His voice?
I think the most effective thing you can do when the people around you are not listening to His voice is to pray.  I do not mean that you should pray that they change their mind in order to agree with you.  I am talking about asking God to open their hearts and soul to hear His words and apply His truths to their lives. 

When Christ comes into your life and you become a Christian, God gives you the resources to be a different kind of person. I believe that sharing our faith is the #1 most important task of Christ's followers.  When you do this, your example may bring others to come to God.

Have you been let down by some of your role models and authority figures?  How has this affected your relationship with Christ and your outlook on life?

I think we have all been let down by role models and authority figures.  People can inspire us but we can’t put our faith in them.  They will let you down and disappoint you. Our inspiration should come from Christ. It is only through Him that our faith can by renewed.

The Psalmist writes that we are role models when we proclaim God to be the place where we go when we face challenges in our life.  We can always go to God and he will be our strength in times of trouble.  When we place our faith in God for everything we begin to live thankfully and gratefully.

No comments: