Thursday, January 10, 2013

A Psalm For Every Occasion



Wouldn’t you know it?  Here I am on Day 5 of the Love Expressed fast and Starbucks has once again tried to lure me back into their establishment. 

This time they are offering me a bonus star if I purchase a Skinny drink, a Refresher, or and oatmeal.  If you’re not familiar with their loyalty program you can earn a free drink after ten stars.  Once again I was excited for a minute or so until I reminded myself about my Starbucks fast.

Once again I will pass this on to you because you may not have sworn off Starbucks doesn’t mean I can’t share it with you.

 Skinny drinks that qualify includes skinny vanilla latte, skinny flavored latte, skinny cinnamon dolce latte, skinny caramel macchiato, and skinny mocha. Oatmeal includes Classic and Hearty Blueberry flavor. Refreshers include handcrafted Cool Lime & Very Berry Hibiscus.

Before I talk about today’s devotional I’d like to share something my husband said to me.  He asked me if I’d ever read the book The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People.  The truth is that I had read it back in the early 90’s as part of a school improvement project. 

About a week or so ago I was praying about something that was troubling me and I felt that GOD was telling me that I have to let go of the things that are outside my sphere of influence.  I needed to work on trusting GOD completely without interjecting my own desires.   Trust me this is not always easy for a control freak like myself to do. 

Today’s Love Expressed devotional is about developing a closer relationship with GOD through psalms.

As a Christian I am searching for a closer relationship with GOD and prayer helps us deepen our intimacy with Him.  Since the God is the source of all power, drawing closer to Him and casting our cares and worries on Him will give us the spiritual strength we need, even while feeling physically weak.  Tell God your needs, fears, feelings, joys, everything on your heart.  

Devotional living, worshiping God, and enjoying His steadfast presence are all part of developing this spiritual intimacy with God. We need to walk with Him faithfully and and draw close in his lovingly embrace.

No comments: