Tuesday, April 28, 2009

This Is Why I Teach

Photobucket

I won't be getting a raise next year. I will be lucky to have a job. Today one of my students gave me her prom picture so I could put it on my board. This is what she wrote on the back of her photo:

Mrs Copeland you’re the best teacher I’ve ever had! You were always there when I needed you!! Thanks for being there for me. I’m going to miss you!!!! Love Jasmine W.

This is worth more than ten pay raises.

Today's headlines:

Flying the presidential jet over lower Manhattan for a photo op, sending panicked New Yorkers running into the streets, was as "stupid a thing to do as one could dream up," the White House said Wednesday. And it cost far more than the $328,835 the Air Force says it spent.

New York Mayor Mike Bloomberg's office said it doesn't have hard numbers yet on how much the city had to spend to deal with the panic caused when a backup jet to Air Force One, accompanied by two F-16 fighter jets, flew around for approximately 30 minutes for a photo shoot commissioned by the White House Military Office.

The POTUS must have missed this when he was going through the budget with surgical precision and cutting out government waste. Isn't Photoshop cheaper?

Today the World Health Organization has raised its pandemic alert for swine flu to the second highest level, meaning that it believes a global outbreak of the disease is imminent.

The change comes as the fast-moving flu spreads to at least 10 U.S. states from coast to coast Wednesday and swept deeper into Europe, extending its global reach as President Barack Obama mourned the first U.S. death, a Mexican toddler who had traveled with his family to Texas. Total American cases have surged to nearly 100, and Obama said wider school closings might be necessary.

The cases include 51 in New York, 14 in California and 16 in Texas. Two cases have been confirmed in Kansas, Massachusetts and Michigan, while a single cases have been reported in Arizona, Indiana, Nevada and Ohio, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Everyone is getting tired of being asked if they have Swine Flu every time there is a sneeze.

On the gardening front. I was THRILLED when I noticed the little green heads of my pea plants peaking through the ground. I came running into the house to show Darryl. His response? I hope you aren't getting dirt all over the place. The tomato plants, the califlower, and the peppers keep getting bigger and bigger each day. I can hardly believe how exciting it is.

I might be sponsoring a couple of contests soon. I will tell you if that's true very soon.

Blog contests I entered:

Prizes (3): Life After People DVD, History Channel laptop backpack, and USB Swing Drive keychain.

Prize: Bissell Little Mean Green Machine floor cleaner, Brita water pitcher, Green Works cleaners and Tide Coldwater detergent.

Prize: Betty Crocker Mixer Basket with mixing spoon, spatula, measuring spoons and cups, whisk, liquid measuring cup, and Betty Crocker Magazine.

No comments: