Thursday, June 30, 2011

Man’s Body Pulled From The Oostanaula River On Friday Morning


My husband has told me to write down when I have thoughts, maybe some would call premonitions, and they come true. I really don't bother because I often tell my husband, that a particular thought coming true doesn't necessarily mean anything or that perhaps its just so obvious I should not be surprised. I had such an experience today.

When I first heard that there had been a shooting in Rome on Tuesday night. Police said a man had jumped in the river Tuesday night to avoid capture after a shooting in North Rome. The man entered the river near the Rome-Floyd County Library where the Oostanaula was only about 3 to 4 feet deep late Tuesday.

I read about the man jumping into the river and I told my husband that this man is dead. It just seemed to add up. To jump from the height of that bridge into such a shallow area of water did not fare well for the missing man.

On Thursday I had to drop off some books at the library and we noticed what appeared to be a family, a small group of people gathering at one end of the library parking lot looking out towards the bridge.

I turned to my husband and said, "I think they're here looking for their loved one." My husband wasn't so certain because he had heard rumor that the man never really jumped into the river. I was certain he was in the river and his body was nearby.

I turned to my husband and said, "I feel sorry for someone because they will just be walking by and they will notice this guy's body in the river."

On Friday morning the missing man, Christopher Graham’s body was seen in the river by a person walking along a nearby trail near The Forum civic center around 7:30 AM Friday, officials said.

The fact that I was certain that Graham was dead did not seem particularly odd to me because as someone who used to dive from the high dive often I know that the water has to have a certain depth if you are leaping from a certain height. That part of the equation was elementary.

The fact that the body was found by an unconnected pedestrian didn't seem odd to me because there is quite a nice walking path in Rome.

I knew that my husband had said he'd heard that there might not have been a jumper and I had heard that the police had called off the search. The Oostanaula is not a wide river by any stretch of the imagination. It seems odd that they might not have seen a body in the river.

The day we stopped at the library and I saw that small group of people, I felt this tremendous sense of sadness and anxiety and I just knew that he was dead and they were hoping that he wasn't.

I did not know the young man who was shot. I did not know the young man they pulled from the Oostanaula. I know that the police feel that there is a probable drug connection but I do not know. I do know that this particular morning I felt the pain of a mother from afar and I wished I had a different answer for her.

My husband says that's a premonition. I think its just plain obvious.

No comments: