Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Weinergate Or Is That A Weiner In Your Pants Or Are You Just Happy To See Me?


I was first alerted to Weinergate on a certain website dedicated to people of the more liberal persuasion.

What is weinergate? A photo of a man’s bulging gray boxer-brief underwear was posted to Weiner’s account with yfrog — an online image-sharing site — on Saturday night, according to biggovernment.com, which is run by Andrew Breitbart. The photograph is from the waist down, and shows no face.

Rep. Anthony Weiner claimed that his social networking identity was hacked and that the a hacker is to blame for the lewd material that was sent from his Twitter and yfrog handles to an unidentified woman from Seattle, Washington.

When I first heard about the incident I felt that if this was true then the person responsible for hacking into the account should be held accountable. At the very least this person committed a serious crime if only just for impersonating a federal official.

Ah grasshopper the story does not end there. As a matter of fact the story only gets curiouser and curiouser.

You see Rep. Weiner to Luke Russert of NBC that “I can’t say with certitude” that the turgid photo is NOT him. If ever there was a good reason to keep photos of one's manly parts off the internet this might just be that reason.

Surely, the FBI could do a forensic evalutation of this account to determine who the hacker was.

For some reason Rep. Weiner doesn't want to make a federal case out of this . Which begs the question, why is Rep. Weiner saying that the incident does not a national security matter.

"I was the victim of a prank," he said. "That is the bottom line here."

Gennette Nicole Cordova, the young woman at the center of this scandal has written an interesting online piece about how Twitter is a great place to get to know famous people. (Note to self Tweet Tom Sellac and see if he'll send me a photo)

Ms Cordova, has since quickly deleted her Twitter and Facebook accounts. She has also come forward with the following statement:

There have never been any inappropriate exchanges between Anthony Weiner and myself, including the tweet/picture in question, which had apparently been deleted before it reached me. I cannot answer the questions that I do not have the answers to. I am not sure whether or not this letter will alleviate any future harassment. I also do not have a clear understanding as to how or why exactly I am involved in this fiasco. I do know that my life has been seriously impacted by speculation and faulty allegations. My reputation has been called into question by those who lack the character to report the facts.

Rep. Weiner has retained council to advise him “what civil or criminal actions should be taken”

You’re a Congressman, your personal communication accounts were compromised, and you don’t care who did it? Don’t you think you owe it to the public and your constituents to find out?

I for one hope that we get to the bottom of this whole story. While the left calls for the head of Breitbart I wonder if they will cry as loudly if it turns out that Weiner really did send this tweet. We shall see. We shall see.

No comments: