Thursday, July 22, 2010

Mother Killed Her Kids Because They're Both Not Normal



Saiqa Akhter is accused of strangling her two young children told because they were autistic and she wanted "normal kids," according to a tape released Wednesday.

WHAT??????

Saiqa Akhter was charged with one count of capital murder in the strangling of her 5-year-old son, Zain Akhter, at the family's apartment Monday night. Police spokesman David Tull said another capital murder charge is pending in the slaying of her 2-year-old daughter, Faryaal Akhter, who died Tuesday night.

Ms. Akhter told the 911 operator she initially tried to poison the children with bathroom cleaner but they refused to drink it. When that didn't work, "I used a wire on their necks," she said

When the operator asked the woman why she attacked her children, she said, "They're both not normal, not normal. They're autistic. Both are autistic." Pressed further, she said, "I don't want my children to be like that. ... I want normal kids."

I don't know any mother alive who hasn't muttered the words "Is that normal?" in respect to their kids. I'm certain you have probably given thought to the question when it comes to toilet training, walking, weight gain, etc., etc. Mothers who of sound mind don't say to themselves, "This one isn't normal I'll get rid of it." as though the child was a broken doll.

I understand the frustrations, the depression, the confusion and the fear, but I also understand you don’t kill children because they are different—not perfect, not normal. (Whatever normal is)

It is tragic that Saiqa never received the mental health care that she so desperately needed. As a result, her two precious children are dead.

My nephew is Autistic and there are online resources for parents who are dealing with the challenge of raising an autistic child.

* Autism Research Institute Web site

* Autism Society of Collin County Web site

No comments: