Wednesday, May 6, 2009

A Life Unfinished

Photobucket

Yesterday I couldn’t find Andrea’s obituary. Today there was an article about her funeral which is to be this Saturday. The article included quotes from various teachers who all agreed that she was a very wonderful girl who worked hard to maintain an A average while working outside the home to help support her family. She really was a sweet young lady who was taken from us way too soon.

Here is some of what the Rome Paper said today about Andrea.

Andrea Garcia will be laid to rest this weekend, dressed in her red graduation cap and gown.

The Rome High senior died Sunday after a car wreck late Saturday night. She was 18 and would have graduated May 24.

Andrea was a bright, loving girl, Guzman recalled. She was Rome High’s Student of the Month for April and was planning to start classes at Georgia Highlands College in the fall to pursue a degree in accounting.

“She loved to sing, and she was always with her friends. She had a lot of friends,” Guzman said. “I think that’s because she just liked helping people. She loved music and the color yellow.”

Teachers at Rome High School remembered Andrea’s work ethic and her smile.
Andrea’s family is now appealing to the community for assistance with funeral expenses. Guzman said donations are appreciated and can be made to the “Andrea Garcia Fund,” account number 061101375 at Regions Bank. Collection boxes have also been placed at area restaurants.

Funeral services have been arranged by McGuire, Jennings & Miller Funeral Home, 2542 Shorter Ave. A visitation is scheduled Friday from 7 to 9 p.m. and the funeral service will be at 2 p.m. Saturday in the Oaknoll Chapel.
Today started out very rainy with thunder and lightning. At times I would unexpectedly hydroplane.

As one of my students would say, “It’s chicken day.” It’s almost a running joke. On Wednesday he comes to class all smiles and say, “You know what today is?” Then without missing a beat he declares “It’s chicken dayyyyyyyyyyyyy!” Sometime I think of teasing him and telling him that they didn’t order enough chicken so because of that, third lunch will have to eat peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. I never do say it though. Well today is the day that Oprah gave out FREE two piece chicken dinners from KFC. That would be their new grilled chicken dinners with two pieces of chicken, two sides and a biscuit.

I blogged about it on ThriftyMaven, twittered about it , and I told all my students about it. I hope I get some web traffic because of it today. I googled it a few minutes ago and noticed that on Digg it shows:

The Oprah Winfrey Show Kentucky Grilled Chicken Deal
thriftymaven.com — Have you tried the new Kentucky Grilled Chicken yet? Now's the time to do it. Free offer good for 2 pieces of Kentucky Grilled Chicken™ (manager’s choice) and two individual sides and a biscuit at participating KFC restaurants located in the U.S. There is a number one in front of it so I don’t know if that means that there was only one person who looked at it or if was the number one post for that on Digg.

I still don’t understand Digg too much. I have heard that some people spend a great deal of time trying to be number on the front page of Digg. Mine’s not there so I guess that means. I do know that at 2:45 I checked Alexa and my traffic rank was 4,710,404!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can’t wait to see how many people viewed my site.

I saw that I had over 1,000 visitors on ThriftyMaven today and I registered 32 NEW people on my site. It's kind of like that Three Stooges Routine. "Slowly I turn. Inch by inch. Step by Step." I'm keeping my fingers crossed that things will keep growing.

Here are the blog contests I entered:

Prize: Pepsi Throwback prize pack with trucker cap, retro Pepsi tin lunch box, retro clock radio/CD player, USB lava lamp, Pepsi Throwback and Mountain Dew Throwback (ARV $150).

Prize: Bride Wars DVD and a $25 Gift Certifcate to PaperShouts.com.

Prize: One semester/six months of online courses from Computer Savvy Seniors.

No comments: