Tuesday, May 5, 2009

One Bad Apple Don't Spoil The Whole Bunch

Apple Pictures, Images and Photos

You should be thankful for what you get and I am. In this time of great economic unrest I have a job. Today the School Board came to our school to dole out our annual apple. Yes to show their appreciation for all that we do we get a handshake, and if we've been with the school for an interval of five year increments we get a pin. This year there's a bonus, a bookmark. The representative comes to your class, shakes your hand, hands you the apple and thanks you for your service. I got a little bit of a laugh after they left when I noticed that the top of my apple was mushy. so mushy as a matter of fact I was able to put my finger right through the top of it. I said to myself, "I'll try not to take it personally."

At school the Vocational Department has a little display case where we post our Students of the Month. Each month, a teacher in each discipline names their most outstanding student. You’d be surprised at how many people stop and look at that display. Today Andrea’s picture joined the students who’s were already named Student of the Month. It talked about how she had planned to go to college and major in Accounting. Throughout the day kids gathered to look at her photo. Andrea will be laid to rest this Saturday. Her parents are trying to raise money to defray the funeral costs.

I thought about posting her Obituary but our local paper is now CHARGING you to access obituaries. Can you believe it? People in grief have to PAY to read the obituary.

On the way home I passed another accident and saw an officer carrying a young woman out of a ditch to the waiting stretcher. It sent a chill through me.

I just found out that Dom DeLuise passed away today. According to reports, he passed away peacefully in his sleep following a long illness.

He also hosted the popular TV show "Candid Camera" from 1991-1992. Dom was an avid cook and author, penning several cooking guides and children's books.

Writer-director-actor Mel Brooks particularly admired DeLuise's talent for offbeat comedy and cast him in several of his films, including "The Twelve Chairs," "Blazing Saddles," "Silent Movie," "History of the World Part I" and "Robin Hood: Men in Tights." DeLuise was also the voice of Pizza the Hutt in Brooks' "Star Wars" parody, "Spaceballs."

The actor also appeared frequently in films opposite his friend Burt Reynolds. Among them, "The End," "The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas," "Smokey and the Bandit II," "The Cannonball Run" and "Cannonball Run II."

Other TV credits included appearances on such shows as "The Munsters," "The Girl From U.N.C.L.E.," "Burke's Law," "Sabrina the Teenage Witch" and "Diagnosis Murder."

On Broadway, DeLuise appeared in Neil Simon's "Last of the Red Hot Lovers" and other plays.

I always liked Dom DeLuise because I just felt he seemed very comfortable in his own skin. That's what I always wished I could be.

There was some good news. Not for me but for someone else. Since September, the 59-year-old South Charleston woman has won five West Virginia Lottery cash prizes, totaling $167,600.

All of Bailey's winnings came from the Lottery's instant games. Her latest win is her biggest — the $100,000 top prize in the Price is Right game.

Bailey claimed that prize Tuesday. Her other winnings from various instant games include $50,000 in April, $1,000 in March, $6,000 in January and $10,000 in September.

Another hectic day of working on Thrifty Maven. Any time I got a free moment I was researching ideas for free things for Mother’s Day. I have a huge list now and I will be publishing them on Saturday.

Here are the blog contests I entered:

Prize: Magellan RoadMate 1430 GPS (ARV $229.99).

Prize: Hasbro Easy-Bake Oven (ARV $36).

Prize: Bride Wars DVD and $25 Paper Shouts gift certificate.

Prize: Bride Wars DVD and a $25 Gift Certifcate to PaperShouts.com.

Prize: Betty Crocker Mixer Basket with mixing spoon, spatula, measuring spoons and cups, whisk, liquid measuring cup, and Betty Crocker Magazine.

Prize: 6 Megapixel Kodak Digital Camera, spy remotes or the worlds smallest card reader.

Prize: EarCheck middle ear monitor (ARV $50).

Prize: Hoover FloorMate SpinScrub Widepath.

No comments: