Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Teacher Job Fair Cancelled in Cowetta County

statue of romulus and remus

I was listening to the radio this morning and I heard that Fayette County Teacher Job Fair is CANCELLED CANCELLED CANCELLED CANCELLED. They believe that they can get by with their current teachers since they are going to increase class size.

They aren't alone, Cowetta School school system officials have canceled the annual teacher job fair as officials predict a shortfall for the next school year because of the recession and state funding cuts. The positions for the new Brooks Elementary School scheduled to open in August will be filled in-house, by personnel from other schools and the central office. He says personnel will be shifted into new positions while others take on responsibilities for those retiring or leaving.

The school system predicts a shortfall of between $5.4 million and $9.5 million for the 2009-2010 school year.

As I said before I already know that I will be losing extended day as will another teacher in the Vocational Department. She will be joining my department and her VERY SUCCESSFUL program, one she built up from scratch, will be dissolved completely in a couple of years. It will be gradual, inasmuch as Juniors will be able to finish up and that's about it.

Just the other day I learned that California might be giving their employees IOU instead of paychecks. Now today I learn that Kansas may be issuing IOUs for their tax refunds. Can you imagine me doing my taxes and sending the state and IOU? On the positive side I guess it wouldn't hurt my political ambitions.

Darryl told me last night that he saw a Kroger commercial. It featured a man saying that they had easy to create recipes and they have everything there. You can even sample things. He and I both feel they are doing this campaign because the role reversals in household wage earners. More women are working outside of the home while men are being hit very hard by this recession.

The average time it took for an unemployed person to find any job _ full or part time _ rose to 19.8 weeks in January, compared with 17.5 weeks a year earlier. And the number of "long-term" unemployed _ those out of work for 27 weeks or more _ climbed to 2.6 million from 1.4 million a year earlier.

The positive thing that happened today was that Darryl had a telephone interview with a company. This is his first interview since he lost his job. The person who interviewed him said that he would send Darryl's name on to a second interview. We're not sure about that because Darryl and I both felt he didn't do too well. There was too much know's and uhm's going on. Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments: