Saturday, January 10, 2009

Don't Miss the Biggest Fullest Moon of 2009

Mountains in moonlight

Last night when I was driving home I noticed the moon was already hanging in the sky but the sun was not down yet. Although I have been alive long enough to realize that this is not a once in a lifetime event, it still fascinates me. It seems out of sync and forces you to stop whatever it was you were doing to gaze with wonder at its presence.

This morning when I let the dogs out the full moon seemed to dominate the sky and I couldn't resist saying to myself "Goodnight Moon". Little did I realize that the moon would actually make the news today. It turns out that, according to NASA, it will appear about 14 percent bigger in our sky and 30 percent brighter than some other full moons during 2009. This will happen because the oon will be at the closest point to us on its orbit Saturday night (Jan. 10).

Tides will be higher, too. Earth's oceans are pulled by the gravity of the moon and the sun. So when the moon is closer, tides are pulled higher. Scientists call these perigean tides, because they occur when the moon is at or near perigee. (The farthest point on the lunar orbit is called apogee. I can't attest to the whole babies born during full moon or more crimes during a full mooon but tides they can validate.

The moon makes a trip around Earth every 29.5 days. The moon is moving away as you read this, by about 1.6 inches (4 centimeters) a year. Eventually this drift will force the moon to take 47 days to circle our world. Who knew?

I did get my first win today and I almost didn't notice it. Kraft So Good Together January Football promotion has an online contest. It ends February second. I entered it around 9:42 am Saturday and I won. I had entered five days in a row before I won. The Prizes (43,000): Free product coupons redeemable for designated Kraft products at participating retailers (ARV up to $15).

Here's more blog contests I entered:

Prize: Customized Little Bunny Press book of choice

Prize: $25 Ecostore USA gift certificate

Prize: Set of eco-friendly project binders from Naked Binder

Prize: Mom Essentials organizing and planning calendar from Mommy Track'd

Prize: Box of personalized My Fruit Roll-ups.

Prize: Photo watch from Hour Power Watches

Prize: $30 Children's Place gift card.

Prize: 3-month, 3 books per month membership to BookSwim

Prize: Crock Pot e-Lume

Prizes (3): $25 Pizza Hut gift card

Prize: Carseat Blanket.

Prize: L'Oreal Paris Golden Globe gift bag

No comments: